Saturday, December 6, 2008

Holiday Confession

When it comes to holiday decorations I am CHEAP! I never buy ornaments or decorations, I think it is a waist of money. You know I have to take that back, I bought a bag of old ornaments for quarter at a garage sale this year! (No really, I got a good deal on these ornaments, and I like to think they look vintage. Ha! Ha!) The 3 foot tree that you see is a fiber optic that Joe gave us 4 years ago, which is how I aquire decore for any holiday. Thank goodness every year that Gunnar and Wylie are in school we get more and more ornaments and decorations that they have made themselves, which are my favorite. We decorated the tree this evening and thought that I would share some of the things that I get out every year. And I have to say... I think the tree looks great!


I like to put some of the kids' art on the tree, like the wreath Wylie made last year out of a paper plate (it's around the polar bear). Towards the bottom left you see a reindeer made out from a trace of Gunnar's foot and two hands. Wylie has one like it on the other side. They made the reindeer when the were 2 and 4 years old.

This is a Santa Clause that Gunnar made in preschool that I hang up every year. I think the cottonballs are a nice touch!

Another Santa Clause made by Gunnar when he was in kindergarten. Pretty good coloring for a boy who doesn't like to color. Very colorful too I must say!


I like to set these houses out on our side tables every year. The house to the very right was given to me by my dad and Cindy. As far as the other two, I have no idea where they came from, but I definitely know that I did not buy them.


This manger scene was my Grandma and Grandpa Streid's, which actually stays in our viewing cabinet year around. I like it a lot and I remember that it was always set out during the holiday season at my Grandparent's house in Illinois.


Another Christmas decoration that stays in the cabinet year around are from Grandma and Grandad DeWeese's. These Human Beans (get it?) are one of Josh's favorite decorations that his grandmother set out every year.

After reading this, I realize this post may not be real interesting to anyone, but it really makes a person sentimental when you get things out that you haven't seen in a year.

1 comment:

The Ski's said...

I loved your post! Isn't it neat to hang up things that mean so much to you???? I LOVE those sentimental ornaments!!!!! When I saw the manger scene...I was drawn to tears. Wow...what memories I have of going to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Illinois...and yes, you are right, the manger scene was always out. I think we are going to try and imitate Grandpa's cinnamon rolls this Christmas...but I know ours won't compare to his. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday....and thanks for bringing back some memories for me. Hugs to you all...